At Aycliffe Drive, we are lucky to have our own Level 3 qualified Forest School Leaders and all children will experience a Forest School education during their time here. Our own environmental area affords an excellent learning space.
Forest School is a Scandinavian concept where the outdoors is used as an area for leaning. Pupils attend regularly from Nursery to year 2 building on prior learning in a holistic way and stimulating outdoor environment.
- It is a specific ethos of learning that focuses on processes rather than products and allows learners time and space to develop at their own rate. Learners develop a strong sense of space through repeated contact with the natural world (ideally woodland but not always) throughout the year in all weathers.
- Empowers children and young people to take responsibility for their own learning and development. The ethos encourages child-led learning and learning through play. Choice increases enjoyment, participation and motivation. Children are set up to achieve and supported to take appropriate risks through developing trust in themselves and others
- Encourages emotional growth, self esteem, confidence and independence. It gives learners time and space to be by themselves, find peace and communicate with others in a safe caring environment. Emotional literacy is activity practiced by adults and children within the Forest School.
- Instils a deep respect and awareness for the natural world and reconnects participants to the environment. Being in nature allows learners to observe real life, witness cause and effect and consider our roles and responsibilities towards it.
- Promotes learning and development for all ages and abilities and its ethos is fully inclusive. It is most effective in smaller than class sizes with high adult to child ratio. The natural environment provides stimulus for all senses, all areas of development and all learning styles.